Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Nien Gao

Nian Gao, a sweet snack that almost every Chinese household will savour during Chinese New Year. The Chinese have preserved this traditional food for 3000 years. Learn a couple of simple ways to cook Nian Gao in this video.
http://thestaronline.tv/v/5120


I have been reading this excerpt on the side panel of my TV guide for the past few days. Been meaning to check out the video on thestaronline, but my Internet was down for the past few days, so I never did. This morning, the technician finally came by to have a look at our connections, it turned out that the problem wasn't in our house, but on their end. Oh well, what's new?.

Had a heavy breakfast of Nasi Lemak, so we all skipped lunch. As I opened the fridge to look for a snack, I spotted the Nien Gao that an aunty gave me. Hmm... so I whipped up a simple batter of flour and egg, and fried a few pieces of the sweet cake. It did not turn out as expected, but hey, it's still Nien Gao! I don't remember the last time I had this sweet bite, must have been at least 2 years ago, as I definitely did not have any last year. Back in my uni days, I always had some really yummy ones whenever JM went back to Malacca. His aunt would sandwich them with sweet potato and yam slices. And of cos, I would always pick out the yam, not a big fan of yam cooked this way. Ooh, I wish I can savour one of them right now!

This is how my attempt looks like. Again, do not judge it by the looks, it was actually quite yummy. I'll try it again once I have watched the video on the star.com, and
maybe with sweet potato slices this time!


1 comment:

Michelle Y said...

Ooh yummy! Looks good!

Babe, the software that I'm using is Photoscape. You can get it from download.com