Saturday, January 30, 2010

Heritage Station Hotel KL

I was reading Lonely Planet Malaysia online, and a short review of a hotel caught my eye. It was Heritage Station Kuala Lumpur. Located at the main railway station in Kuala Lumpur, this hotel has been around for almost a century. Like many colonial buildings around the country, this building was designed by A.B. Hubback, bearing features inspired from the Neo Moorish period.
Today, this majestic hotel is long forgotten, as many are seeking for comfort in newer and more stylish hotels.

I had an encounter with this hotel myself. About 2 years back, we stayed at this hotel for a night, we chose this place because we had to be at Pudu Terminal early in the morning the next day, plus this hotel seemed less dodgy than the ones along Petaling St and Pudu. ( I was not familiar with the idea of staying in backpackers then) The one night stay at this hotel made quite an impression as I still remember the details up till this day. As we only checked in late evening, the hotel was brightly lit. It was remarkably clean, and I remembered the manager on duty that evening was a man. He was quite friendly, informing us about breakfast the next morning. As we made our way upstairs in the ancient elevator, an eerie feeling came by, but I chose to ignore it of course. The hallway leading to our room was quite dark and the floorboards creaked with each step we took. Despite the appearance on the outside, the hotel is not at all rundown, it was pretty well maintained. Our room was simple, don't expect anything posh, the furnitures are well in lined to the hotel's name - Heritage. I'm just glad it came with good air conditioning and a shower with hot water.

After a movie and dinner in Mid Valley ( it being just 2 stops away) , we came back to our cozy little room. I went under the covers and was asleep in no time, I'm not too sure about someone though, I think he was kept away by footsteps on the creaking floorboard, and probably some wild thoughts. The hotel has been around for a while, it's location on a side of town that is away from the hustle bustle of the city, it can be pretty quiet at night. If I was alone and not dead tired, I would be sitting up all night with the TV switched on too ! Then again, if you have watched The Ring, you probably don't want the TV to be on. *grins*

We got up bright and early the next morning, and skipped the hotel breakfast. Took a few pictures in the cafe downstairs, and outside the hotel. After all, we didn't think we would be coming back for a second stay. I don't remember where the pictures are, so I borrowed this from "TripAdvisor"









I read with interest that the hotel management is working on to promote the hotel as a community hotel, rich with values of history, arts and culture. Do check out their website, and if possible, stay a night ! I think I would too. http://www.heritagehotelmalaysia.com/

No comments: