Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Breathing the city life in Welly

We are finally in Wellington.
Well, it's just me now. Therese is now in Kaikoura. We left New Plymouth last Friday, after spending a good few days on the farm, and up to Mt Egmont National Park. It was a good few hours walk, but the view up there was totally worth it !
After a few hours drive on the Surf Highway 45, and then on State Highway 1, we finally got to Wellington. Stayed a night in Rosemere Backpackers, apparently it used to house a brothel.. interesting aye? And the best thing was the location, it's located right behind St.Paul's church. :)
Therese and I had the most crappy dinner that night, it was Fantastic noodles with canned tuna, and some curry sauce for me. Well, usually I'll be more than glad to have instant noodles, and not that I minded it that night, but as compared to what we had in New Plymouth for a week.. It was crappy. hahah
After dinner, we decided to walk around the city a bit. It felt really good to be in a big city again, after so much countryside and national parks. We walked along Cuba St, which is a pedestrian mall from the 60s. On our way, there was a young girl singing on the streets, and had a sign that says " I am saving for a new piano, pls support me." She was quite a good singer, and the second song that came from her was I'm Yours, so we sat down for a moment to enjoy the music, and dropped some coins in her piggy bank.
We called it a night after buying our vanilla ice cream from New World, (the far one, mind you ), went back to the hostel to enjoy our apple crumble and free internet. Yes, we had a crappy dinner, but we had apple crumble for dessert ! ;)
The next 2 days with Therese was spend sight seeing in Welli. We went to museums, churches, shops, and Weta Cave - quite an awesome place to visit, as it is a mini muesuem of all the artwork they have done for some of your favourite movies. Just to name one - Lord of the Rings ! LOTR fans will love this place as they are also selling figurines and souvenirs from the trilogy.
Therese set sail for the beautiful South Island on Monday morning, leaving me here to breathe more of the city air. haha. So I've been sitting around Brian and Lillian's house, reading and enjoying Oreo's company - their proud grey cat! It's been raining quite a lot down here, so there's nothing else better to do than to curl up with a good book. Having said that, I was out in the city though, went out to town to meet Norbert - a guy from Sabah whom I met in the plane. He is taking his phD here in Welli, we met up for lunch and I paid $8.50 for a bowl of curry laksa, but it was worth it cos it was a yummy taste of home! There are heaps of Malaysian restaurants down here in Wellington, never noticed that the last time I was here. But oh well, I guess it's a good thing for the Malaysians who are homesick. Lol.

No comments: