Tuesday, September 1, 2009

the very disturbing conversation

I met up with a friend yesterday as she came to Akaroa for a day trip. Well, we both have a mutual friend, that's how we were introduced, virtually. We met up at the Akaroa Fish & Chips, and sat down to have some hearty lunch. I finally had my chance to try a whitebait pattie, after much curiosity about it. It reminded me so much of ikan bilis, yeah so it's like an ikan bilis omelette which cost me 9 dollars ! Blimey.

The disturbing conversation started with me suggesting to go and sit on a sunny spot, and the respond that I received was " as if there's not enough sun in Malaysia" , well technically he didn't say that to me, but i somehow felt annoyed with that statement. The conversation then continued with me asking how long they have been studying here in NZ, and how did they find this place? and the answer i got was

" Peaceful... very quiet."

" Well, whereabouts you from? "

"Kuching"

"Oh, then you should be alright, Kuching isn't that busy"

"No lor, I think Kuching is more happening than here"

" Really? Well, coming to NZ is all bout enjoying the nature"

"Yea, it's just the nature lor, nothing much d"

"Why did you choose to come here then? " was already a lil annoyed at this point.

" Urm.. I didn't choose this place"

All I could say in my head was , you ungrateful son ! I didn't know why I was annoyed with him, probably because I have not met someone who made such negative comment about NZ. I almost ashamed that he was Malaysian ! Maybe I have been kiwi-fied, and learnt to be more polite and not make such blunt comments.

I just munched my way through lunch, and wished that it will be over soon, so that I could go soak in the sunshine and the beautiful scenery of Akaroa.

Which I did. I took the bike out to the wharf and just sat there on a sunny spot all afternoon. Let the waves of the sea wash away that disturbing conversation.

No comments: